Saturday, August 25, 2007

Album Review: Feist - My Reminder (3.5 / 5)


Canadian indie singer Leslie Feist has an amazing voice, at one moment sweet and gentle and at other powerfully crooning over this set of acoustic folksy pop songs, her second major label album. I prefer the album's jaunty upbeat tracks, such as "I Feel It All" or the album's hit single, "1,2,3,4," which is a fun mix of piano and handclaps. "My Moon My Man," underscored by sharp bass piano chords and low guitar chords, is another highlight, if not the best song. "Sea Lion Woman," a Nina Simone remake, is another fun hip shaker.

Some of the slower songs get a little too dreary, and she'd be better served by reigning in her voice a bit more at times--more noticeable if you're listening to this in the background rather than with headphones. Slower "So Sorry" is a good opening number, but other slows songs like "The Park" and "The Water," while not bad songs, drag on a little too long. Better is the dramatic, string- and piano-backed "The Limit to Your Love" or the leisurely closing number "How My Heart Behaves."

Best: My Moon My Man, 1,2,3,4, I Feel It All, Sea Lion Woman, The Limit to Your Love

No comments: