Monday, September 18, 2006

Scissor Sisters Preview

My Space has a limited time preview of the Scissor Sisters' new album, Ta-Dah, out today in Britain (out next Tuesday in the US). Here are my first impressions....

I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’

Opens with a guitar intro not on the single version—then into the hit song we all love. Perfect.

She’s My Man

Sounds like someone turned on a jukebox at the honky tonk. This is a fun song, lots of staccato piano chords. It’s more rocky than we usually get from them. Some girl’s drinking “rusty razorblades.” Yikes!

I Can’t Decide

This has an almost folksy beginning. It’s jaunty and fun. “It’s a bitch convincing people to like you.” That’s true. Short song, but good.

Lights

This is more funky ‘70s sounding than the other songs so far. Jake sounds weird, but doesn’t he always?

Land of a Thousand Words

The ballad. This is nice. Sounds like the last album’s ballad, “Mary,” although not as sad. It’s nice. I like that they can turn around a serious song amidst all the camp. That they have such a range is what makes Scissor Sisters such a cool band. They’re not one note hacks. They have real talent. Great ending too. Really good song.

Intermission

Strings? Ooh… this is really weird. Has that whole carnival sound to it that annoys me about Goldfrapp’s first album and Christina Aguilera’s new one. Not that great, but not a deal killer.

Kiss You Off

This sounds cool. Got some ‘80s pop and rock influence. Ana’s singing! Such a rarity (Jake really steals her thunder, don’t you think?). I like this. Good song.

Ooh

Back to the dance floor. Kinda strange, but decent. Good beat.

Paul McCartney

Opens with a very ‘80s keyboards rift. Sounds like they borrowed Madonna’s drum machine too. What does this have to do with Paul McCartney? Reminds me of “The Music Is the Victim.”

The Other Side

Another ballad? I hear some pianos and darkness. Cool guitar work Babydaddy. This has a really different sound to it for them. I like it.

Might Tell You Tonight

This sounds like the typical Scissor Sisters sound. Retro-ish, with piano and drums. Sounds good.

Everybody Wants the Same Thing

How to describe this? Rocky? Retro? More of the same? Sure, but it works well.

Sounds good. Really good. Definitely keeping up the party, that’s for sure. I’m excited to get the album. I ordered the special edition, so there’s some more songs on it, including “Hair Baby,” which is about something kind of disgusting, so I won’t describe it here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted the album here.
http://ihatewheat.wordpress.com/2006/09/13/guess-what-i-got-today-2/

"Kiss You Off" and "She's My Man" are definitely the standout tracks.

Anonymous said...

1. Erin Q. Hammers drinks rusty razorblades.

2. The Scissor Sisters have a song called "Paul McCartney."

3. Robin is Jewish.

Anonymous said...

What are you playing? Two truths and a lie?