Saturday, January 09, 2010

Personal Chart, 20th Anniversary

It's been 20 years now since I've been making a personal top 40 hits chart. I got really into pop music starting in 1987, and by late 1989 I was a devotee of Casey's Top 40, a countdown of the top 40 songs at pop radio. So much so that in the first week of 1990 I decided to create my own personal chart, something I've now done every week since. While I don't have my records from the early '90s, here's a close approximation of what songs were probably on my first top 40:

3 comments:

A1 said...

awesome! I adored Rhythm Nation as well it was #1 for me too!
as was Madonna :)
and so many other great tracks from then
I should dig out my issue for that week and compare :)
Nice one mate

Myfizzypop said...

Rhythm Nation 1814 (the album) totally redefined pop music for me. Great list. Lots of similarities on what I was listening to back then too!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

A1 - How lucky that you still have them. For the first few years I did my charts in a spreadsheet program called Lotus 1-2-3 and saved them on 5" floppies. So even if I could find them, there's like 3 technological barriers right there to me accessing them.

Paul - Agreed, and even though RM1814 came out in 1989, no exploration of 1990 would be complete without mentioning it.