Saturday, October 03, 2009

Best of 2000s: Justin TImberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds (4/5)

If Justified was Justin Timberlake's Over the Wall--the album where he firmly established himself apart from NSYNC--then FutureSex/LoveSounds was his Thriller--the album that made him a superstar. The set scored well among both fans and critics, earning a Grammy Album of the Year nomination, and produced six top 40 hits, including three #1s. The first of which, "Sexyback," became a minor pop culture phenomenon in 2006, and "What Goes Around...Comes Around" got a Record of the Year nomination. Produced principally by Timbaland, Danja and Timberlake himself, the album embodies the best of the time's cutting edge pop/R&B. Thoroughly modern though it is, it finds time to give us an old school Prince-style song in "Until the End of Time," a smooth ballad that was later re-recorded with Beyonce.

Best: What Goes Around...Comes Around, Sexyback, My Love, Until the End of Time, FutureSex/LoveSounds, Summer Love

4 comments:

rcLoy said...

I really love this album, it's actually one of my birthday present that year it was out. I personally finds it refreshing at that time, very very good album and I gotta agree with you, Until the End of Time is of my faves track there with SexyBack. And the album did hit the right spot with the opening with FutureSex/LoveSounds and ending it with (Another Song) All Over Again. Smooth ride, very smooth and eclectic ride. =)

Myfizzypop said...

was a great album that still sounds amazing today. And he was quite good in Shrek The Third too. Bonus - he looked proper foxy in all the vids too :)

J.Mensah said...

I would love this album more if I wasn't such a Janet-fan. I haven't looked at JT the same since the superbowl -- I've never been on to like music just for the music.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

rcLoy - I agree. I enjoyed this album, but wasn't blown away by it when it first came out. Listening again to it recently, I appreciated it more.

Paul - He's a hottie. We need a new album--and some new vids to go with it.

J. Mensah - You raise an interesting point. While I think both Timberlake and Jackson were complicit in the Superbowl '04 stunt, it's interesting the extent to which she's been punished for it, and he got off scott free. He released a major hit album 2 years later--she hasn't been able to land a hit ever since. The reaction is probably sexist and possibly racist. And definitely unfair.