Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy 50th Madonna!

Today Madonna looks at her 40s and says "This Used to Be My Playground," as the world's biggest pop star turns 50. What was Madonna doing at my age? Enjoying the success of Like a Prayer, which makes me more than a wee bit jealous. To help Madonna celebrate, here's my 10 favorite Madonna vids:

Vogue

You can't top "Vogue." Fantastic song, beautiful video. I used to do the dance--it was a "thing." I got a lot of mileage out of it over the years.

Express Yourself

Visually a very cool video. Very expensive. Madonna looks fantastic.

Frozen

That Madonna launched her 1998 comeback with this understated masterpiece was an inspired move. Fantastic.

Music

I love the look, the animation, the '70s-style split screen cutting.

Ray of Light

A day in the life, with a disproportionate visit to a dance club.

Get Together

Cool animated video.

Open Your Heart

Stripper befriends a child. Pushing the envelope as usual.

Oh Father

Madonna's most beautiful "story" video. The Like a Prayer videos in general are my favorite.

Deeper and Deeper

There's something sort of tacky and dirty about this video, which I used to not like, but I find it more appealing now.

Cherish

Hot mermen--yum.

4 comments:

J.Mensah said...

WOW! The Big 50! good for her! SHE KILLED IT! at her promotional tour in London!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Did you get to see her? Lucky you.

J.Mensah said...

LOOL! see her, I Wish i watched online, it was a promotional tour through BBC Radio 1. I've posted some of the performances on my blog

http://thebillboardfiles.blogspot.com

xolondon said...

I do wonder if there is another Like A Prayer or Ray Of Light in her. I HOPE.