Sunday, February 05, 2012

Madonna Give Me All Your Luvin'


Madonna's new single released Friday, "Give Me All Your Luvin'" featuring Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. is taking the world by storm. After its first day of airplay, it racked up 1005 spins at top 40 radio, enough to place at #38 for the week after just one day of play. This morning, after two days of play, it's at #26 with 2264 spins.

The video displays a lot of energy, with Madonna dancing through a neighborhood set flanked by Minaj, M.I.A and a football team--a nod to today's Superbowl halftime show.

The soft itself is frothy fun, carrying through the cheerleader theme with the "L-U-V Madonna, Y-O-U you wanna" chants reminiscent of Toni Basil's "Mickey" (or Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" or Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend"). Watching the video, I finally realized what M.I.A. contributes to the song. Both her and Minaj have bridge-section solos, but M.I.A.'s is so understated compared to Minaj that it almost vanishes (and frankly could do so and the song wouldn't lose anything).

I like the song. Definitely ready for MDNA.

2 comments:

John said...

Madonna (and Interscope) gave a huge exclusive to Clear Channel, and it appears they returned the favor by playing the heck out of the record. I have a feeling it will drop back next week once people are over the novelty of it.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

You're probably right. I think this was the same thing that happened with "We Found Love" when it first came out--huge first week airplay and then it dropped, but of course picked up again eventually. Will be interesting to see if Madonna can do that. She's not the guaranteed hitmaker she used to me.