Sunday, July 18, 2010

UK Singles Chart, July 24, 2010

1. Airplanes - B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams

B.o.B. climbs to #1 with "Airplanes" his second single and second straight #1 hit. After Dizzee Rascal, he's the second artist to score a second #1 hit this year, following "Nothin' But You," which hit #1 just 2 months ago. For Hayley Williams, lead singer of the group Paramore, this is her biggest hit; although her band has had three top 40 hits, none has charted higher than #14. It's a pretty decent #1 I think. Can I get a second?

2. We No Speak Americano - Yolanda Be Cool vs. Dcup

"We No Speak Americano" climbs 3 spots to #2 this week. Surely this is the surprise hit of the summer. Who'd have thought? This is a fun song, although it goes on about 2 minutes longer than I think it should (at least the version I have seems to).

3. Love the Way You Lie - Eminem feat. Rihanna

Eminem and Rihanna climb another notch to #3. I'm sure this will be a #1 hit in the US soon. But can it also do so in the UK? It's been 4 years since Eminem last hit #1, appearing on Akon's "Smack That."

5. Just Be Good to Green - Professor Green feat. Lily Allen

Professor Green scores his second top 5 hit, this time with popstar Lily Allen in tow. Once again sampling a previously famous hit--this time 1990 #1 hit "Dub Be Good to Me" by Beats International, which itself samples SOS Band's "Just Be Good to Me." This is Lily Allen's sixth top 10 hit and second as a guest performer after her appearance on a 2007 hit by the artist at #6.

6. Bang Bang Bang - Mark Ronson & Business International

Who would that be? Mark Ronson of course, who returns after a 3-year absence (as an artist at least) with "Bang Bang Bang," the first single from his upcoming third album, Record Collection. Ronson appears with his band, Business International. It's a pretty explosive track with an '80s electro bent. Definitely not the '60s-sounding stuff he's known for.

7. The Club Is Alive - JLS

"Beat Again" debuted at #1 and spent its second week at #1. "Everybody in Love" debuted at #1 and spent its second week at #3. "The Club Is Alive" spends its second week at a significantly lower position, dropping 6 notches to #7. No surprise, as this track has received decidedly bad buzz.

8. Pack Up - Eliza Doolittle

Ms. Doolittle climbs four spots to score her first top 10 hit with "Pack Up."

38. Fourth of July (Fireworks) - Kelis

I didn't occur to me last week, but isn't it odd that Kelis has a top 40 hit in Britain that celebrates America's independence (from Britain no less)? Of course it's just a metaphor (hmmm...I wonder what for), but still. Maybe Leona Lewis can come out with a love song called "Boxing Day (Presents)" and make it a hit in the US. Or maybe not.

8 comments:

J.Mensah said...

I'm so sad that JLS have fallen 6 whole spots down to #7, it doesn't give me a sense of happiness AT ALL! In fact I'm crying and cutting myself as I write this. I really hope they stay in top 10 for a third week and even... top your chart! So fucking talented! The club is definately not dead with the shit of JLS! Woo!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Perhaps it will make you feel better to know that Jedward...another critical talent...have a new single out tomorrow (All the Small Things).

J.Mensah said...

I rate Jedward more than JLS... at least they know they suck and that's what they're career's based on... the fact that they suck.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Well I guess they'll never disappoint themselves. There aren't any exciting new albums out this week. What should I review next? I'm thinking of the Danger Mouse album that was leaked last year but finally released last week.

J.Mensah said...

Please review Eliza Doolittle, I think her debuts really good... A bit same ol acoustic pop but still very good. And maybe Eminem since you kinda have a man crush on him now :/

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I've been thinking about Eminem, but I hadn't considered Eliza Doolittle. I'll think about it.

Myfizzypop said...

Mark Ronson should have been higher. Prof should have been lower. I only just got into Eliza Doolittle but i adore her already!!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I agree about Ronson. Great song. Maybe it will climb?