Monday, October 31, 2005

Album Review: Rachel Stevens - Come and Get It (4.5 / 5)


When Rachel Stevens first appeared in 2003, I wasn't that interested. At first, I thought "Why would someone write a love song about the Los Angeles airport (LAX)?" The song in question, "Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex," grew on me, but not enough to get me interested in her first album, Funky Dory, although the additional tracks added for the sole purpose of becoming singles ("Some Girls" and "More, More, More") were pretty decent. Still, to me she was just a former "SClubber," nothing to take seriously.

That's why I can hardly believe that I am about to gush, just gush, about Rachel Steven's second album, Come and Get It. This is pop music at its best--the way it should be. The songs are fun, high energy, and varied enough to keep it interesting, but similar enough to hold it all together. The key influences seem to be the same '80s electro/retro sound that infected Kylie and her sister Dannii's last albums, but with a stronger willingness to keep it all fun. Allison Goldfrapp would have a fit over this--but she's clearly had some influence too, even if her '80s electro/retro is "serious" stuff.

The album opens with early single "So Good," a pulsing, thundering single, that should have climbed higher than #10 on the UK singles chart. Rachel keeps it moving with the campy "I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)," which is almost overproduced, except that to take anything away from it would burst the pure pop joy of this song. And I challenge anyone to resist tapping their toe to the insistent bass pulse of "Crazy Boy." Rachel mellows out for "I Will Be There," which, as some reviewers have pointed out, does sound very Pet Shop Boys. Other highlights include the other early single, "Negotiate With Love," the R&Bish "All About Me," and the slightly dramatic "Nothing Good About This Goodbye." My current favorite track would have to be "Secret Garden." It opens with this great staccato keyboard/vocal combo that repeats during the chorus that I just love. This song reminds of something..I can't put my finger on, but it is great. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to find a track on this album I don't like. Perhaps, "Je M'Appelle," if only because it's a little too repetitive and lacks a good dance beat like most of the other tracks. A slight complaint for sure.

The sad thing, as has been widely written about this album, is that it is expected to completely flop. So far, it's debuted on the UK album chart at #28 and plummeted this week to #58, so I guess the pundits are right. I for one do not understand it. This is a great pop album--one of the best of the year. I'd like to see it turn around and without the addition of bonus tracks to re-release it. It's good as it is and as good as it gets.

No comments: