Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mercury Prize Nominees

Well, getting three of my four "sure bet" nominees isn't bad. La Roux, Kasabian, and Florence and The Machine made the list, along with Glasvegas, who I hadn't considered since their album was released so long ago, Bat for Lashes, who is lucky to receive her second nomination, and Friendly Fires, whose "Paris" is a rather great song.

The other six nominees are people I haven't heard of, making this year's list a bit more "out there," from my pop-based perspective. Last year, I owned most of the nominees at the time they were announced--this year just two (and I purchased Flo & Co. just after).

Full list:

Bat For Lashes – Two Suns
Florence and the Machine – Lungs
Friendly Fires – Friendly Fires
Glasvegas – Glasvegas
Kasabian – West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
La Roux – La Roux
Led Bib – Sensible Shoes
Lisa Hannigan – Sea Sew
Speech Debelle – Speech Therapy
Sweet Billy Pilgrim – Twice Born Men
The Horrors – Primary Colours
The Invisible – The Invisible

2 comments:

rcLoy said...

And the super buzz Little Boots is no where near the list. Too bad. If Kings Of Leon were nominated. It's so going to be a sure fire win. Lol. At least that's what I think.

J.Mensah said...

My friend owns the Friendly Fire's album--It's not really my taste, but it sure sounds like an album you'd be interested in.

Geez... I might call off this hiatus, I can't help blogging even when I'm on Holiday.